Medical and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
More details on these plans available here.
Learn how you can use pre-tax dollars to pay for certain types of healthcare or dependent care expenses, reducing your taxable income. Monies set aside are deducted each pay period on a pre-tax basis. Expenses may be paid with your DBI debit card or via electronic claim submission.
Use the calculators, list of eligible expenses and other planning tools at www.discoverybenefits.com to learn more about these accounts. The plan year to incur expenses is extended through September 15. Deadline to submit eligible claims for reimbursement is December 31. View the Participant Guide for claim filing directions and helpful tips on using Discovery Benefits' website.
Healthcare Flexible Spending Account
- May contribute $130 to $2,550 each year
- Access to the total amount you contribute on July 1
- May complete application for automatic orthodontia reimbursement
- You are not required to participate in a University medical plan to enroll.
Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- New for 2015-2016! The University will contribute a $500 lump sum amount if you elect a Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- May contribute $130 to $5,000 each year. (Note that Duquesne's $500 contribution will count toward the maximum you can contribute)
- Reimbursements are only up to the amount available in your account
- May complete application for automatic reimbursement
Save Your Receipts!
While the FSA debit card is a great way to pay for many eligible expenses, use of the debit card does not take away the IRS requirement of submitting documentation. DBI will contact you when manual claims substantiation is required. Failure to submit documentation within the deadline will result in the cancellation of the debit card.