Student Health Insurance Required
University policy requires action by all full-time graduate, undergraduate and international students regarding health insurance coverage.
YOU MUST DO THIS AT THE BEGINNING OF EVERY ACADEMIC YEAR
A. How We Communicate
Your Duquesne University personal email account is the official method of communication for Duquesne administrative matters.
DO NOT dismiss emails from Gallagher Koster (Duquesne's Student Health Insurance Manager). Failure to check your email account does not excuse or exempt you from any actions required of you by the University.
B. Insurance Requirement and Cost
All full time students must have adequate medical insurance coverage and provide the University with verifiable proof of coverage. If you do not provide proof of insurance or enroll in the plan offered by the University, you will be automatically enrolled in the University's plan, and your student account will be billed for the cost of the insurance in two installments. The first in July 2014 in the amount of $911.20 and the second in December 2014 in the amount of $856.20. For a total of $1,767.40. You must provide proof of coverage or enroll in the plan offered by the University by completing the appropriate online form by August 31, 2014, or for Spring only students by January 31, 2015. NO PAPER WAIVERS ARE ACCEPTABLE.
|How to Waive Student Health Insurance
IF YOU HAD THE UNIVERSITY'S INSURANCE LAST YEAR AND ARE STILL ELIGIBLE, ENROLL ONLINE ASAP, DO NO WAIT TO BE AUTO ENROLLED. THIS WILL DELAY YOUR COVERAGE YOUR ACTIVIATION IN HIGHMARK'S SYSTEM AND THE RECEIPT OF YOUR NEW ID CARD.
In order for your personal insurance to be accepted as adequate, the following conditions are apply:
- The policy must not exclude pre-existing conditions
- The policy must pay providers directly
- The policy must have mental health coverage
International students covered by their own or parent's health insurance plans must ALSO confirm that:
- The insurance company pays claims in U. S. Dollars.
- The insurance company has a U.S. based claims processing center.
C. Online Process for 2014-2015
THE FOLLOWING ONLINE PROCESS WILL BE AVAILABLE JUNE 1, 2014.
1. Log onto Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk: click on College and University Students and type Duquesne University Domestic or Duquesne University International in the search box.
2. Click on Student Waive /Enroll Forms. You will be required to log in to submit a waiver or enrollment form. Your User ID and Password are:
User ID – Duquesne University Email Address (including the @duq.edu)
Password – Student’s Banner number which can be found on your Student Account online ebill (Ex.D00000006)( Go to https://portal.duq.edu/cp/home/displaylogin to view your eBill.)
3. Once logged in, select either the Red "I want to waive" or Green "I want to enroll" button. If waiving the insurance, have your current insurance ID card ready as you will need this information in order to complete the waiver form or simply complete the enrollment form if you desire to enroll in the coverage.
If you have tried to log on to Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk website and have had problems, it may be for one of the following reasons:
1. You are not registered for classes yet. (You will not be able to access Gallagher Koster's web page until 1 week after you complete your class registration).
2. You are not a full time student, or
3. You are a PhD student. Please contact Gallagher Koster at 1-877-344-9795 for your eligibility status.
Regarding dependents, which include spouse and children, you must enroll yourself first and then print the Dependent Enrollment Form found on Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk. Complete the form and return it to Gallagher Koster, by U S Mail, along with a copy of your marriage certificate and/or birth certificates for children.
D. University Insurance Plan Summaries.
For more information on student insurance or questions call 877.344.9795. You can also email questions to: DuquesneStudent@gallagherkoster.com
The University Plan does not offer dental or vision coverage.