Certification and Testing
IMPORTANT: The certification application system has moved to an online system called TIMS (Teacher Information Management System).You are now required to apply online through TIMS, as well as submit some paper materials through Duquesne. Please see the following information about applying through TIMS:
- Register on the PDE website, if you have not done so already. You will not be able to apply in TIMS until 24 hours after you register on the PDE website.
- Apply in TIMS: Instructions and Powerpoint Tutorial (It is best to have both documents open when applying)
- Please make sure to select Duquesne as your "Educator Preparation Program" and to assign your application to Dr. Susan Munson for review. Also, select "yes" to the 2 questions that ask for Duquesne to have permission to view your application
- You do not need to fill out the work experience section unless you are applying for an Administrative, Supervisory, or Letter of Eligibility certification
- Once we review your online application, we will submit them to the Pennsylvania Department of Education. After you submit your application, you can track the progress in TIMS--as per PDE, please allow at least 10-14 weeks for certification approval. PDE will no longer provide hard copies of your certification, but you will be able to print it out once it has been approved.
Placeholder Letter Request Form (pdf)
If you have any questions, please call 412.396.6118.
Below are the testing requirements for all programs that are offered at Duquesne University. Please check with your Academic Advisor as to when you are to take each test. Required scores can be found at the link provided. NOTE: Graduate Students who are in Instructional I programs do not need to take the Pre-Service Academic Performance Assessment tests (PAPA). Those who are in Educational Specialist programs (School Counseling, School Psychology, and Instructional Technology) and who HAVE NOT taken either the PRAXIS I or PAPA tests will need to take the PAPA: Reading, Writing, and Mathematics tests.
|Program||Testing Requirement (Passing Scores in parentheses)
|Early Level (PreK-4) Education|
|Middle Level (4-8) Education|
|Secondary (7-12) Education- Social Studies|
|Secondary (7-12) Education- English|
|Secondary (7-12) Education- Mathematics|
|Secondary (7-12) Education- Biology||
|Secondary (7-12) Education- Chemistry||
|Secondary (7-12) Education- Physics||
|K-12 Education- Latin|
|K-12 Business, Computer, and Information Technology|
|Special Education N-12 (*For old PDE Program. Please consult Program to determine if this is applicable. )|
|Special Education (PreK-8 or 7-12)||
|Reading and Language Arts||
|Principal or Vocational Director
|Superintendent: Letter of Eligibility
|Supervisor or Vocational Supervisor||