From your first semester at Duquesne University, we invite you to "Walk the Humanities into the Marketplace" by connecting classroom learning with practical experience. To this end, we encourage you to participate in a minimum of one internship during your time here.
- Freshmen and sophomores are encouraged to experience resume-building opportunities through campus organizations and activities, as well as though volunteer opportunities in the marketplace. An excellent starting point for getting involved are the communication organizations and activities offered through our department.
- Juniors and seniors are encouraged to continue their campus involvement while pursuing additional for-credit internship experiences locally, nationally, and internationally. All majors have up to six elective credits allocated for internships.
Through our Internship Office, you have access to professional advisement by a number of qualified faculty and staff including the Marketplace and Internship Directors (the Undergraduate Directors serve in this capacity), Marketplace and Internship Coordinator, and Communication Internship Assistant.
Our Internship Office is connected to over 100 organizations offering professional communication experience. We support your professional growth through the ongoing cultivation of marketplace opportunities related to your major and by providing you with invaluable resources and consultation in several areas:
- Resume Building
- Interview Preparation
- Portfolio Development
- Professional Leadership
- Internship and Career Planning
As a complement to our professional services, we provide you with professional guidelines that shape your for-credit internship experience. These requirements serve to refine and enhance your professional development, making you an even more competitive candidate for future employment in your desired career or vocation.
Internship requirements include:
- Completion of weekly time reports
- Completion of two summary reports
- Mid-term Employer Performance Appraisal
- Final Employer Performance Appraisal
- Completion of a Final Paper or Portfolio Project
Some of the organizations with which we have internship relationships are ALCOA, Bayer Corporation, Pittsburgh Pirates, Pittsburgh Penguins, Giant Eagle and Giant Eagle's Market District, Sargent Electric Company, the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Chatham Baroque, the Michael P. Weber Learning Skills Center of Duquesne University, U.S. and State Senate offices, the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, MARC USA, Ketchum Public Relations, Brunner, and Mullen.