Founders Week 2020: Unity in The Spirit
Unity in The Spirit
Founders Week 2020
Sunday Feb 2nd to Friday Feb 7th
In a world where division seems more prevalent every day, our Catholic Spiritan identity calls us to come together to be with one another, walk with one another, and listen to one another. The charism of the Spiritans is "the guarantee of unity as great diversity emerges within our community" (Spiritan General Chapter, 2004). As we commemorate our founders, let us come together in the Spirit to celebrate our work that is inspired by the Spiritans each and every day
Sunday February 2nd
Mass for Feast of Libermann
- 11am Liturgy in the Chapel
Monday February 3rd
Meeting People Where They Are: The Legacy of Laval
- Noon, Africa Room
- Fr. Sean Hogan, President of the Duquesne University Scholarship Fund and Dessa Mrvos, Director of Health Services, will each share from their own experiences what it means to meet people where they are both abroad and right here on our own campus in the Spirit of Laval.
Music Throughout Our World: A Concert in the Spirit of Unity
- 7:30pm, Africa Room
- Join us for our annual concert featuring music from around the world! Members of the International Student Organization will be sharing throughout the evening on how music brings people together in their culture.
Tuesday February 4th
Bringing Universities and Communities Together: Participatory Action Research Presentation
- 3:00pm-4:00pm, Power Center Daugherty Ballroom C
- Join Drs. Sandra Quiñones, School of Education and Rick Zoucha, School of Nursing, for a presentation on Participatory Action Research (PAR). PAR is a form of community-engaged research that contributes to the academic world while addressing community concerns in authentically collaborative ways. Put simply, it is a research method that brings universities and communities together in a meaningful way.
Evening of Flights
- 4:30pm-6:30pm, Africa Room
- Join us as we hear from Spiritans about their flights around the globe while enjoying a Beer Flight and hors d'ouevrs! Tickets are $20 per person. Proceeds from this event will benefit the Spiritan Missions abroad!
- OVER 21 EVENT
Life Long Friendships: Unity and Greek Life
- 9pm, University Ballroom
- Three DU Greek Life Alums will speak on a panel about how the focus of brotherly and sisterly unity in Greek Life impacted them during their time at DU and continues to impact them today well beyond their college years.
- This event is open ONLY TO GREEK LIFE STUDENTS
Wednesday February 5th
"Show a Little Love" Service Project
- 11:00am - 1:00pm, Union 2nd Floor Atrium and Commuter Lounge
- Faculty Staff and students will have a chance to stop by the 2nd floor concourse and the Commuter Lounge in the student union on campus to make cards for local veterans to be shared on Valentine's Day.
- 7:00pm-8:00pm, Towers Multipurpose Room
- A Monthly Spiritan Campus Ministry offering, Agape Latte is a speaker series program that gives Duquesne students an opportunity to engage in caffeinated conversations about the intersection between faith and real life. Ashley Geese and Anthony Kane will speak that day on the unity of marriage and how DU has influenced their relationship and engagement.
Interview with a Spiritan
- 9:00pm, Towers MPR
- Adam Wasilko will interview Fr. Ray French on his life experiences, why he chose the Spiritans, his travels abroad, and what he loves about his work at Duquesne!
Thursday February 6th
- 4:00pm-6:00pm, Africa Room
This will be a celebration of the amazing work done on campus each and every day. It will include beer, wine, heavy appetizers, and music as we celebrate mission-driven work from around the university!
- OVER 21 EVENT
Special Dinner Towers
- 4:00pm - 7:30pm, Hogan Dining Hall
- Hogan Dining Hall will be featuring a special international menu to celebrate the week!
Evening of Spiritan Stories
- 8pm, Residence Halls
- Spiritans from campus will meet with small groups of students in the residence halls to share about how they understand the ideas of unity and community at Duquesne as inspired by the Spiritan Founders.
Friday February 7th
- 4:30pm, Trinity Hall
- All are invited to attend this traditional prayer followed by a reception hosted by the Spiritans.