The major involves 35 credits in Psychology with requirements in specified areas of study and opportunities for electives in areas of special interest. A minimum of 23 credits in psychology must be taken at Duquesne University for the major. Students must earn at least a grade of C in all courses required for the major.
B.A. Program in Psychology
Curriculum for Undergraduate Psychology Majors
As early in their studies as possible, and in the following order, students take:
• PSYC 101 Introduction to Psychology (Prerequisite for all other Psychology courses, unless otherwise specified)
• PSYC 102 Orientation to the Psychology Major [1 credit], (May be taken concurrently with PSYC 101)
• PSYC 203 Introduction to Psychology as Human Science (Prerequisite for PSYC 410, 411, 412, and 413)
As early in their studies as possible (to fulfill both the prerequisite for PSYC 201 and the College Core Math requirement), students select one of the following:
• MATH 125 Fundamentals of Statistics
• MATH 225 Introduction to Biostatistics
Early in their studies students take:
• PSYC 201 Research Methods in Psychology (Prerequisite: MATH 125 or MATH 225) (Prerequisite for: PSYC 321, 345, 399, 480, and 499.)
• PSYC 220 Brain, Behavior, and Cognition
Students select at least two of the following:
• PSYC 225W Developmental Psychology: Childhood and Adolescence
• PSYC 228W Psychology of Personality
• PSYC 240W Social Psychology
• PSYC 252W Psychological Disorders
Students select at least one of the following:
•PSYC 271 Anti-Semitism
•PSYC 324 Perspectives on Disability and Illness
•PSYC 335 Psych, Identity, and Film: Persp. African Cinema
•PSYC 353 Psychology of Gender
•PSYC 354 Psychology of Social/Cultural Diversity
Students must select six additional credits in Psychology courses (from the courses listed above and/or elective courses).
One from the following:
- PSYC 321 Laboratory in Psychological Research
- PSYC 410 Existential Phenomenological Psychology
- PSYC 411 Post-structural and Critical Psychology
- PSYC 412 Psychoanalytic Psychology
- PSYC 413 Humanistic and Transpersonal Psychology
•PSYC 480 Psychology and Community Engagement (Prerequisite: Junior*/Senior status and 201). *Juniors may take with permission of instructor.
•PSYC 399 Professional Preparation for Psychology Majors 1 credit. (Prerequisite: PSYC 102 and 201), this course should be completed in the second semester of junior year or first semester of senior year.
For a B.A. in Psychology: Students complete at least 35 credits in Psychology plus Statistics (MATH 125) or Biostatistics (MATH 225), with a grade of C or above in all of these courses. A minimum of 23 credits in Psychology must be taken at Duquesne University. Unless otherwise specified, all Psychology courses are 3 credits.
Recommended Course: The Department recommends that students take Philosophical Roots of Psychology (PHIL 322) as their Philosophy requirement for the College Liberal Arts Core.
ADVISEMENT AND DECLARING A MAJOR IN PSYCHOLOGY
Students who wish to declare Psychology as their major must meet with their academic advisor and complete the on-line "Major Declaration Form". Academic advisors must approve registration, drop-add, cross-registration, etc. The student meets with the advisor during every pre-registration and final registration period and at other times as needed during the year. Students can also schedule a meeting with the Director of Undergraduate Programs (in Psychology) if they would like additional information about the Psychology Major.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MINOR
Requirements for a minor are Psych 101, 203 and nine other credits in psychology. A minimum of nine credits in psychology must be taken at Duquesne University for the minor.