Requirements for the Minor
The minor requires a total of 15 WGS credit hours (5 courses)
- These courses must be taken in at least two disciplines.
- Students may petition to receive WGS credit for a course that is not cross-listed in WGS. These courses should include identifiable content devoted to women's or gender studies, and the student must be able to do a significant project or assignment based within the fields of women's studies or gender studies. If possible, students should file this petition before the semester starts; if that's not possible, students should file the petition during the first four weeks of class.
- Criteria for recieving WGS course credit
- Petition for WGS course credit
- Students may petition to receive up to 3 WGS credits for a credit-bearing Duquesne internship that focuses on gender-related issues.
- Students may petition to receive up to 3 WGS credits for a directed reading or independent study.
In addition to the above courses, students may also submit a proposal to substitue a non-WGS course to fulfill a requirement for the WGS Minor. Consult the specifications prior to submitting a proposal.
The following courses are offered on a regular basis in the Women's and Gender Studies Center:
WSGS 202 / THEO 201, "Women and Christianity"
WSGS/PSYC 453, "Psychology of Gender"
WSGS/JMA 421, "Sex, Myth, and Media"
WSGS/HIST 433, "Gender in American History"
All courses are cross-listed with departmental offerings. In addition to these regular courses, a number of special topics courses are offered each semester.