Hire a Duquesne Musician
Duquesne University has many talented student and alumni musicians who can be hired for events such as weddings, worship services, receptions, dinners, business events, and concerts.
Please submit our online Hire a Duquesne Musician Request Form. You will receive, via email, the name(s) and contact information for musicians qualified and available for your event. We ask that you submit your request at least one month in advance of the date of the event. (Every attempt is made to honor all requests; however, it may be difficult to confirm musicians with fewer than four weeks' notice.) Submitting the form does not guarantee that a student musician will be available for your event.
The Mary Pappert School of Music does not act as an agent for the student musicians and does not issue contracts, nor is it responsible for contractual negotiations made between the client and musicians. The School of Music suggests a minimum fee of $75 per hour, per musician, however student musicians set their rates individually. A travel fee may apply for events outside of the Greater Pittsburgh area. The Mary Pappert School of Music has vetted these musicians and expects that they will uphold the highest professional and performance standards, however, we do not assume responsibility for student misconduct, including cancellations, no-shows, etc.
Things to consider when hiring a musician:
- What kind of performer or ensemble do you have in mind?
- The date, time, and location of your event
- What is your budget for music? Cost is influenced by the number of players, length of event, travel distance, equipment required, experience of performers and special requests.
- Is your event casual or formal? This is important to consider when selecting the kind of performer/ensemble for your event.
- What kind of atmosphere are you trying to create for your event? Do you have specific genres or stylistic periods of music in mind such as classical, romantic, pop, jazz?
- Is the location/venue suitable for musicians? Is it inside or outside? How much space is available for musicians? Do you require a sound system? Are electrical outlets accessible? Is equipment like music stands or chairs available or will the performers need to bring their own?
- Is there an acoustic piano available? If yes, has it been, or can it be, tuned for the event?
- Is there a secure space where the musicians can warm-up, store cases/equipment, or drop-off their possessions?
- Is there a rehearsal/sound check possible in the performance space prior to the event?