Our performance programs are designed with one thing in mind: preparing you to enter a rapidly-evolving job market fully equipped with the skills and knowledge required to have a rewarding career in music and beyond!
Performance Venues & Practice Spaces
Our Program is Unique
- Our GRAMMY Award-winning faculty are networked into the international music industry and know exactly what it takes to be successful in careers from the concert hall to the recording studio, sound stage, or outdoor music festival.
- In addition to curricular concerts and events, students have opportunities to perform professionally in multiple ensembles including the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Pittsburgh Opera and Ballet Orchestras, and Pittsburgh Jazz Orchestra, to name a few.
- Performance majors at both undergraduate and graduate levels have the opportunity to pursue an emphasis in jazz studies.
- A dual-degree option is available to undergraduate Performance majors who want to earn an additional degree in Music Education or Music Therapy.
- Our students benefit from master classes presented by internationally-recognized music experts and guest artists.
- The Institute of Entertainment, Music, and Media Arts (IEMMA) allows you to engage in real-world activities and connect with industry-leading professionals while on campus.
- Through coursework and internships, performance majors learn to manage the business and promotional aspects of professional music-making.
- Our graduates succeed.
A degree in Music Performance provides you with the real-world skills you need for success in a competitive and demanding professional environment. Simply put, you will learn from artist-teachers who are networked into the music industry from New York to LA, from Beijing to Sydney, and across Europe. Work alongside solo artists, recording artists, contractors, entrepreneurs, members of military ensembles, composers and arrangers, and many more.
Interested in Jazz? Visit the Jazz Emphasis Page
Ready to Get Started?
Admission to the Mary Pappert School of Music involves a 2-step process. Applicants must first apply to Duquesne University. Once the application is submitted, applicants will then be prompted to schedule an audition and submit additional materials and documentation. Learn more about this process.