Virtual Integrity of Creation Conference to Focus on Building a Sustainable World
Registration is open for the sixth annual Presidential Conference on the Integrity of Creation (IOC) at Duquesne University.
This year's conference-Building a Sustainable World-will take place virtually Tuesday, Sept. 29, and Wednesday, Sept. 30. It will feature plenary presentations from a variety of interdisciplinary perspectives such as science, law, policy, ethics, health and religion.
The conference webpage also features resources related to sustainability, climate change and water conservation.
"Our topic this year will focus on pivotal issues regarding safeguarding our planet and will feature national experts on sustainability," said Dr. Gerard Magill, professor in Duquesne's Center for Healthcare Ethics. "This year, the conference initiates a focus on workshops to showcase the scholarship of Duquesne students."
Speakers and their topics include:
- Meghan Fay Zahniser, executive director of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education, will present Sustainability in Higher Education: Past, Present & Future.
- Christine Daugherty, vice president for sustainable agriculture and responsible sourcing at PepsiCo, will present Sowing Seeds: How Pepsico Strives to Improve the Global Food System.
- Mary L. Washington, Maryland state senator, will present Sustainability, Environmental Justice and Equity.
- David W. Orr, Paul Sears distinguished professor of environmental studies and politics emeritus at Oberlin College.
- Ben McCall, executive director of the Hanley Sustainability Institute at the University of Dayton, will present A Rapid Transition to a Fully Electrified, Renewably Powered, Carbon Neutral Campus: Technical, Economic, and Moral Considerations.
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 9,500 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.