Uptown Jazz Series’ New Season Theme is Giants of Jazz
Duke Ellington, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie and Herbie Hankcock are just a sampling of the renowned artists whose music will be highlighted in the new season of the Uptown Jazz Series at Duquesne University.
Presented by the Mary Pappert School of Music, the Uptown Jazz Series: Giants of Jazz kicks off its third season on Monday, Sept. 10, with Giants of Jazz—Duke Ellington and Thelonious Monk at 7:30 p.m. in the Genesius Theater.
The series’ six concerts will each feature a retrospective on two influential jazz artists. Mike Tomaro, director of the jazz studies program in the music school at Duquesne, is both artistic director of and a saxophonist in the Uptown Jazz Series. The concerts feature School of Music faculty as well as guest artists
Tomaro will be joined by artists Joe Badaczewski (trumpet); Jeff Bush (trombone); Eric Susoeff (guitar); Max Leake (keyboard); Paul Thompson (bass); and Tom Wendt (drums).
Additional concerts for the Uptown Jazz Series include:
- Giants of Jazz—Dizzy Gillespie and Horace Silver, Monday, Oct. 8, at 7:30 p.m. at the Genesius Theater
- Giants of Jazz—John Lewis and Thad Jones, Monday, Nov., 12, at 7:30 p.m. at the Genesius Theater
- Giants of Jazz—Woody Shaw and Wayne Shorter, Monday, Feb. 18, at 7:30 p.m. at the Genesius Theater
- Giants of Jazz—Bill Evans and Joe Henderson, Monday, March 18, at 7:30 p.m. at the Genesius Theater
- Giants of Jazz—Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea, Monday, April 8, at 7:30 p.m. at the Genesius Theater.
Tickets to each concert are $10 for general admission. Visit www.duq.edu/UptownJazz to purchase individual tickets or a season pass.
Founded in 1878, Duquesne is consistently ranked among the nation's top Catholic universities for its award-winning faculty and tradition of academic excellence. Duquesne, a campus of nearly 9,500 graduate and undergraduate students, has been nationally recognized for its academic programs, community service and commitment to sustainability. Follow Duquesne University on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.