Mandatory Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP)
All full-time undergraduate and qualifying graduate students are required to have comprehensive medical coverage in the Pittsburgh area. To comply with this mandate, students must either enroll in the Duquesne University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) OR waive it with proof of health insurance that meets the following criteria.
Before you waive the Duquesne SHIP:
Contact your insurance carrier to find out if you have comprehensive coverage in Pittsburgh, PA. Area providers and Duquesne University Health Services will bill for services, and you will be solely responsible for those medical expenses your insurance does not cover.
Your plan must:
- NOT exclude pre-existing conditions
- PAY providers directly (no reimbursement policies)
- INCLUDE mental health coverage
- NOT exclude payment for illness or injury occurring under the influence of drugs and alcohol
- SPAN the entire student registration (no short-term policies)
- Annual Term 8/1/2019 - 7/31/2020
- Fall Term 8/1 - 12/31/2019
- Spring Term 1/1 - 7/31/2020
In addition to the above waiver criteria, international students' plans must:
- PAY claims in U.S. dollars
- HAVE a U.S.-based claims processing center
- PRODUCE a copy of the full policy document in English
WAIVE the 2019-20 SHIP, if you can ✔️ all the boxes with your health insurance, to remove the $948.90 charge from your fall student account.
Failure to respond by August 31, 2019, will result in automatic enrollment in the SHIP; and attempts to cancel enrollment after the deadline will incur premium and administrative fees of no less than $63, even if you do not use the SHIP.
ENROLL in the 2019-20 SHIP if your insurance plan does not ✔️ all the boxes or if the SHIP will save you money.
You MUST take action to enroll in the SHIP - you will not be automatically enrolled unless you completely fail to respond by the August 31, 2019 deadline. The Duquesne SHIP is a one-year term of insurance, effective 8/1/2019 through 7/31/2020; and the total cost - $1834.80 - will be charged to your student account in two installments: $948.90 in the fall and $885.90 in the spring. Once you are enrolled in the SHIP, the carrier will not allow cancellations, except in the case of a Qualifying Life Event.
For More Information
Visit QM Services to learn about:
- Duquesne University SHIP benefits and costs
- Information regarding out-of-state Medicaid
- Special message for international students
- Dependent enrollment
- Optional dental and vision insurance
Duquesne contracts with independent student health insurance administrators and advocates at QM Services, Inc. For assistance, please call QM Services at 800-273-1715 - ext. 2.
Please consult Health Services online, or contact them at 412.396.1650 for information regarding their services for students.